In Rioja Alta, the vineyard comprises of 80% bush vines with an average age of 60 years. The remaining 20% of the vineyard is trellised vines. The soil is an impressive layer or large white pebbles with a depth of about 40 cm covering loose, sandy sub-soil. This is ideal soil to grow vines as it has excellent drainage, great exposure to light and allows for the perfect placement of the roots so that they may receive nutrients.
2019 was a stable wine-growing year, with average temperatures for the region and an annual rainfall of 440 mm. There was one small setback in August, where a hailstorm affected some vineyard plots. While this did not affect the overall health of the grapes, it did affect the overall quantity as it prevented uniform development. Less vigorous vines allowed the growth of less compact bunches and yielded smaller grapes.
The summer was dry and sunny, allowing optimal ripening and impeccable health for the vineyards. Harvest was conducted by hand between the 3rd and 5th of October with perfect weather conditions, although shorter than usual years due to the smaller quantity of grapes.
In all, an exemplary vintage, with a smaller harvest of extraordinary quality.
At the winery, after a soft crush in an inert atmosphere, the juice was macerated with the pulp at 8ºc over the course of two days. Alcoholic fermentation was completed at a temperature of 15ºc and then the wine was kept in contact with the fine lees for two months.
The wine is dry, medium- bodied with refreshing acidity. The fruit is lime citrus peel and pulp with an underlying note of ripe honeydew melon. There is an herbaceous quality to this Virua showing dried bay leaf, tarragon and chervil. There’s also a distinct nuttiness to the wine; primarily almond skin and hazelnuts. The length is long, showing the result of a great quality vintage.
Drink now or age 10-15+ years
Roasted pork or poultry, fresh salads, or try with coconut curry!